A surprise to many in Michigan, and across the globe, is that the State of Michigan is becoming a ‘go to’ place for those engaged in providing or utilizing mobile/wireless technologies – in any industry. The state is experiencing tremendous increases in the utilization of these technologies across many industries, including: automotive and other transportation sectors, healthcare, entertainment, government, real estate, consumer products, energy, banking and much more! The increased focus on these technologies is resulting in even more surprising numbers of jobs being created. See many of the stories about Michigan’s engagement with these technologies HERE.
A recent study in which the Mobile Technology Association of Michigan (MTAM) collaborated with the state’s economic development organization to determine the economic impact of mobile/wireless technologies on the State, indicates the following:
- Every mobile/wireless tech-related position created in the State of Michigan also creates 6.54 additional jobs in the state.
- In comparison, according to the same study, a job created in the automobile manufacturing industry creates 5.92 additional jobs for the state.
- The average compensation for a mobile/wireless-related position in Michigan is over $89,000 annually, which is an increase of 48% from 2011 when the study was last completed.
- If MTAM can help the state achieve the association’s target goal for Michigan mobile/wireless-related job creation of 9,250 new jobs by the end of 2020, then according to the results of this study, Michigan will also have benefitted from the creation of over 60,500 additional jobs in the state and over $3 Billion in new annual salaries / wages for Michigan residents.
As the state’s trade association for Michigan’s mobile/wireless technologies, MTAM is in a unique position to understand the impact of these technologies in industries across the state. As a result, the organization has made some observations:
- The state is experiencing this growth due to the utilization of these technologies across many industries. This expansion of industries using mobile/wireless tech in new and exciting ways will continue.
- For the first time, job creation in Michigan driven by the increased use of mobile/wireless tech has surpassed jobs being created by our historic ‘main’ industry (automotive manufacturing); this presents an opportunity for economic diversification that has not previously been available.
- There is tremendous opportunity for success available to Michigan residents who choose to remain in the state to launch careers or start businesses involving these technologies.
- Financial success in mobile/wireless tech-related careers or businesses DOES NOT require relocation to the Silicon Valley or anywhere else, in fact, a much higher standard-of-living can be achieved here in Michigan due to the significantly higher cost-of-living in the Silicon Valley and other perceived U.S. ‘tech hot beds’. As an example, Michigan’s average mobile/wireless-related compensation of $89,000 annually would require a Silicon Valley salary of over $158,000 to achieve the same standard-of-living.
- There is a strong mobile/wireless tech community in Michigan made up of representatives from all sectors of the eco-system; opportunities for collaboration, education and business development are driven by MTAM and its Mobile Monday Michigan subsidiary chapters in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Lansing.
“Michigan has an opportunity to become the ‘go to state’ for mobile/wireless technologies, particularly with regard to their use in the enterprise and the education opportunities we can provide,” states MTAM Executive Director, Linda Daichendt.
“MTAM has a number of initiatives we’re working on to help position Michigan as that ‘go to state’, however, what Michigan needs most to make it happen is increased collaboration between us and education, government, business & industry, non-profits and all the programs/initiatives across the state related to these technologies,” Daichendt says. “We need to work together on strategies to increase training opportunities in Michigan in all industries and job areas where these technologies are being, or will be, utilized. We also need to extensively promote mobile/wireless as a career opportunity no matter what industry interests someone, increase awareness in Michigan businesses and industries about the productivity and profitability gains to be achieved with the use of these technologies, and promote nationally and globally the mobile/wireless tech innovation taking place here.”
To learn more about mobile/wireless-related work being done in Michigan and the opportunities that provides for the state’s businesses and residents, we encourage you to review the PowerPoint below, visit our website at http://GoMobileMichigan.org/MobileInMichigan, or contact us at info@GoMobileMichigan.org to be involved in making Michigan the ‘go to state’ for mobile/wireless tech or with any questions you may have. We at MTAM would love to help you take advantage of the mobile/wireless tech opportunity!
About the Mobile Technology Association of Michigan
MTAM is a non-profit trade association for Michigan’s mobile/wireless technologies, the firm’s who provide them, and the firm’s – in all industries – who use them. The organization’s mission is to facilitate conversation/collaboration between varied sectors of the mobile/wireless eco-system and serve as the bridge to enable diverse organizations to understand each other’s perspectives and needs in order to drive new innovation and opportunities involving these technologies; to increase the use of Michigan-based mobile/wireless technology products and services in-state, nationally and globally; to increase the productivity and profitability of every industry vertical in Michigan via the use of these technologies; to create sustainable jobs and increased entrepreneurial opportunities in the state based on the use of these technologies, thereby achieving substantial growth of Michigan’s economy; and to help the communities we serve via the use of these technologies. Information about MTAM can be found at GoMobileMichigan.org.